I had a pretty slow week in the beginning, since I contracted some sort of cold/flu. Feeling much better now, and I was able to visit the Motown Museum in Detroit. I'd been there once when I was very young, and I remembered tidbits of the tour. I was the only one there for a while, watching the video they have set up to watch before you go on the tour. In that video they mentioned where all the Motown acts lived around the neighborhood, and what high school they attended, which I was very interested in. The tour was standard, but really enjoyable. Afterwards, I asked the tour guide about the streets where the Motown members grew up, and she didn't know. Neither was she very interested in helping me. My next step is to research the individual artists and where they grew up. Also, I'm going to attempt to contact Martha Reeves, since she still lives here and is present in the city. I'll see how difficult that may be...
WHAT NEXT
Contact Martha Reeves, research artist bios.
WHAT
Look at the lives of Motown performers as Detroiters, and their relationship to the city to show Detroit's progression from a different (wider known) vantage point.
WHY
Because I want to explore the progression of place. To show the before and after while giving a musical history to create more reverence for the city.
Michelle,
ReplyDeleteConnecting with Martha Reeves is a great idea. Not sure if you know
that she was the graduation speaker at A+D within the last few years. (ie, There may be someone here with a direct connection to her which would give you a solid introduction.)
Sounds like you're going to need to be a bit more assertive in connecting with resources at the Motown Museum. Have you reached out to the directors/ founders of the Museum, or did you just walk in and talk to whomever was on duty that day?
Have you been in Detroit Connections? Reyonna Orr, our current Communities in Schools liason at Butzel/now Garvey, has a close friend / neighbor who works at the Motown Museum. I can't remember, do you know Reyonna? She may be able to help you connect with someone more substantively. If not, talk to me about her Tuesday.
I know you're coming off of being sick, but you're going to need to pick up the pace (NOW!) to be sure this is viable. If not, you'll need to figure out what is.
Stephen Schudlich, our Detroit Gallery director is also a great Detroit connection. He is now in AA on Tuesdays and Thursdays, connect with him and see if he has any strong Motown connections. I'll email him now with a cc to you....
Great idea, go for it!
Hannah