Friday, January 15, 2010

A New Direction

I had a chance to talk to Amanda about my project, and we talked about how I can get excited about it again. We looked at a project I'd done last year about my family's houses in Detroit, and How much I really enjoyed making it. I love the integration of historical facts and personal narratives along with imagery to tell a wide arching story.

I'm currently taking a CAAS class about Michael Jackson, and there is a woman of the CAAS staff who introduced herself as a "Motown Baby" because she grew up in Detroit seeing all the performers and going to school with their children. Hearing this made me realize that I get excited about my project when I talk to others about their experiences with Motown.

SO! I've decided to start collecting personal narratives and photos to integrate into the history of Motown in Detroit. I'm not exactly sure what form this will take, but I'm still considering the markers.

WHAT NEXT

I'm interviewing my uncle John, who is in his 60's. He grew up in Detroit going to clubs to watch Motown artists perform. I've interviewed him before about Detroit, and I know he'll have very interesting stories. For Tuesday, I'll have his story compiled with images to show.

I'm reinvigorated!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    I look forward to Uncle John's story...I'm curious about what kinds of questions or prompts you used. Any chance you can interview the self-described Motown baby from your CASS class?
    Great to hear your feel reinvigorated--
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete